Saturday, March 21, 2009

Eureka!!




Eureka is an old mining town in Western Utah. It is almost a ghost town and I got some cool pictures while I was there. Here's just a little bit. And stupid me shot with ISO 1600 THE WHOLE TIME! Oh my goodness!! I even thought to change it...and then didn't. I'm ridiculous

::CLARIFICATION:
sorry, I know I'm SO into this photography stuff and use all of this jargon that you uneducated people don't understand, but seriously. Come on...ISO...Heelllooo??? You totally know what that is. HAHA, okay, just kidding, I didn't know what ISO was for forever. Well, I'll give a brief description of what I understand it to be. ISO is a setting on the camera that allows brighter/better-lit pictures in low-lit situations. For example, say I'm outside at dusk and the sun has already set behind the mountains and I'm going off of "twilight"...well, rather than slowing down my shutter speed by a lot to get a well exposed picture (which might cause a lot of blur...well, in my case, which WILL cause a lot of blur), I will change my ISO settings a little higher to allow me to keep my shutter speed where it is (which means I don't have to worry about my shaky hands making the picture SUPER blurry...and it means I don't have to turn on my flash, which I try to avoid at all costs) . The only problem is that the higher the ISO setting (which it usually ranges from 100-1600+) makes a "grainer" picture. I'll post a picture that is really grainy so you get what I mean. Sometimes a high ISO is used to add more of an "artsy" feel to a picture. But for the most part, it's avoided if at all possible. Well, I used my camera at a high ISO (1600) and left it on that setting and didn't change it back to 100-200 that it's usually on. SOOO...my pictures turned out grainy from my Eureka trip. Dag on it! Hopefully that all made sense. Hopefully I didn't just make everyone more confused.

go to www.pioneerwoman.com (I think...or just go to my home blog and click on the link I have for her blog). She explains ISO very well.

my high ISO example from Eureka...not my favorite pic, but you can see the grain: